Are you looking for an internship, co-op, or full time position in the United States? This page has several resources to get you started, and appointments may also be scheduled with ECRC career advisors for advice on your job search. To schedule an appointment with the ECRC, select ‘Request a Career Advising Appointment’ from the top right of your ENGenius.Jobs home page.
Starting your Job Search
- Be an expert on your status and work eligibility. Visit the U-M International Center for more information and any questions related to work authorization.
- Prepare a resume. Attend an ECRC resume workshop or schedule an appointment with an ECRC advisor for a resume review or for help starting a resume.
- Once your resume has been reviewed, consider scheduling additional appointments at the ECRC. The ECRC offers a variety of appointment types, including mock interview, resume review, cover letter review, negotiating offers, and job search strategies.
- Search for positions on ENGenius.Jobs.
Targeting Appropriate Companies
- ENGenius Jobs: Perform an advanced search for companies that answered “yes” for: “Are you willing to sponsor selected candidates for work authorization?” Under the “Employers” tab, you can search for companies and view archived job postings.
- Career Fairs: Review employer hiring policies prior to the fair. Filter the list of companies attending the fair based on their hiring policy, in addition to major and degree level.
- Going Global
- H-1B Records: Contains state, metro, and US-wide H-1B records gathered directly from the US Department of Labor (DOL), the government agency responsible for all H-1B submissions.
- USA City Career Guide: Lists companies who have submitted the largest number of applications for specific metro areas and all 50 states. Records can be sorted by company or number of applications submitted.
- My Visa Jobs
- Includes reports on the top occupations, job titles, and industries that apply for H-1B visas.
- *NOTE: We recommend avoiding companies related to defense, government, or any other type of work where a security clearance is needed.